Tuesday 2 July 2013

Summer plans: 2013

I am so looking forward to the summer.


It seems a little strange to be pining after summer because:
  1. we are a home-educating family so our holidays are not restricted to the school calendar;
  2. we are increasingly autonomous in our approach so we don't have any specific curriculum to complete before we can declare the 'school year' to be over;
  3. what we have been learning in the past year has been interest-led so it is not as if we have to wait for the summer to do fun things.

This is going sound like "year-round homeschooling", but I can't really tell the difference between our summer learning and our rest-of-the-time learning.  I suppose that is a good thing, as it probably means that learning is very much integrated into our normal day-to-day life that we don't have to make special distinctions between learning and non-learning activities.

Still, summer is a special time so we try to do things a little differently from the rest of the year.  We plan to start summer proper at the end of July.  That will give us time to tie up some loose ends from Year 3's work, and give me time to prepare.

I have certainly started planning -- with the help of cake and coffee!


I have a few grand plans for the summer but I don't know yet whether I will be able to pull everything together.  It would seem a bit silly if I were to lay out my super-duper plans only to find myself spending most of the summer lying on a beach somewhere -- although I must admit that the idea of lying on a beach for the most part of summer is very appealing.

The ideas are still floating around in my mind, so all I can say about this year's summer plans for Tiger at the moment are that they will, in some ways, involve the following:


Intriguing, isn't it?  I shall share more of our summer plans when they become more concrete.


This post is linked up to Hip Homeschool Hop - 7/2/13.

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to hearing about all you have planned, the pictures look very exciting and the beach looks very relaxing. Whatever the case, I hope you have a truly lovely summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Claire. I'm looking forward to the summer too. You're got it right that our summer will involve the beach. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biking, water, reading and hobbies sum up our summer plans too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your planning-style, Hwee :-) (Especially the cake!) Isn't it lovely to have such a relaxed homeschool style that summer doesn't feel such a big change? Though I'm with you on fancying a week on the beach ... got to make the most of the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffee and cake are essentially tools for planning! :-) The sun is finally here so I am looking forward to having an outdoorsy summer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...