Friday 21 November 2014

A Christmas Curriculum

http://thetigerchronicle.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Christmas

I'm not going to over-plan this year, as I have done in previous years.  In fact, I am going to under-plan in the hope to avoid the frenzy of Christmas preparation.  The basket pictured below contains most of what I hope to cover in the three weeks before Christmas:



With luck, we shall have some space and time this month to focus on enjoying one another's company as a family (as opposed to busily running around to achieve 'goals' or 'targets').


English, History:
1.  For the month of December, we will be reading through Dickens' Christmas, which contains the story, A Christmas Carol, in addition to all the other Victorian traditions surrounding the Christmas festivity.


Although we have read A Christmas Carol last year, this year we shall read it again and use the related back issue from The Boomerang to support our reading, in addition to learning more about Victorian Christmas in general as part of our history study of the Victorian era.

2.  We are most likely going to have Christmas-themed teatime in December, so we will be looking at a few Christmas poems while enjoying some homemade seasonal food such as:


Maths:
I expect to use the following book over a few Decembers so we will be working through one or two maths problems together each day.



The Arts
1.  Although we tend to celebrate Christmas in a secular manner, I feel that Tiger ought to be familiar with a few of the well-known carols, so we will learn to sing three of them this December:

2.  Over the course of three weeks, we will look at three pieces of nativity-themed art work:

3.  We will also be keeping our hands busy with the following crafts while listenening to Bach's Christmas Oratorio:

I shall be very pleased if we manage to do everything on this list by the end of the third week in December, leaving the week of December 22nd to enjoy the Winter Solstice and to do some last-minute shopping before we get together with the rest of the family for the big day!


This post is linked up to:
  1. Hip Homeschool Hop - 11/18/14
  2. Finishing Strong - Homeschooling the Middle & High School Years Week 38
  3. My Week in Review #14
  4. Collage Friday - A Flexible Homeschool Schedule
  5. Weekly Wrap-Up: The one before winter break

8 comments:

  1. It looks like a wonderful December plan. Make sure you post about those art studies because I'd love to hear what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh doing a Christmas focus would be fun! Thanks for sharing this. I'm visiting from Weekly Wrapup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Nita. I try to use the festivals to take a detour from our usual routine, just to keep things interesting. :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I absolutely love your ideas :) It looks like you'll create a lot of memories this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie. I hope we'll make good use of the month of December too. :-)

      Delete
  4. I had to giggle at your idea of keeping it simple and not over planning the season. I think you have done a wonderful job pulling together a great month's study and it seems very well planned to me!
    I hope you enjoy December (and I'm so pleased you posted about Dicken's Christmas book. I'll be keeping an eye out for it on Amazon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire! Are you resting at home now? Hope everything has gone well for you these past few weeks. :-) I hope you enjoy a restful and peaceful December too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...