Saturday 21 March 2015

Dances With the Daffodils

http://thetigerchronicle.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/flower

It's that time of the year when daffodils are in blossom again.


It is interesting to note that, since we are recording our sightings into our Calendar of Firsts (by learning to draw the daffodils from here),  we have noticed that the daffodils are blossoming earlier this year.


Drawing the daffodil put me in a poetic mood, so we listened to a reading of William Wordsworth's poem, Daffodils (otherwise known as I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud).


I was oohing and aahing about the beauty of this poem read wonderfully by Jeremy Irons when Tiger announced, "If you think I'm going to copy this poem into my book, YOU'RE WRONG!"

To which I replied, half amused, "That's absolutely fine.  You don't have to do anything if you don't want to, but I'm going to add it to my Calendar of Firsts because I think it'll go very well with my drawing."

I started copying the poem into my book using a green pen when, less than 15 seconds after I started, Tiger picked up his pen and started copying it too!


I'd like to think that, at that moment, I was a shining example of inspiration for my son, but that is hardly true.  The poem speaks for itself, and my boy knows a good thing when he sees or hears one -- he always has a love for language -- otherwise nothing will persuade him to copy four stanzas of poetry for its own sake.

Last year we did a detailed study of the daffodils, so this year I thought we would be a little more crafty in our approach.


We tried our hands first at a simple craft of making daffodils out of foam.  The result turned out quite well.


Encouraged by our success, we continued with a more involved, more complex project of making egg carton daffodils.


This project certainly took much longer than the foam project but we think the effort was worth it.



This post is linked up to:
  1. Keeping Company: March Link-Up
  2. Hip Homeschool Hop - 3/17/15
  3. Finishing Strong - Homeschooling the Middle & High School Years #47
  4. The Virtual Refrigerator
  5. Collage Friday: The Hidden Benefits of Homeschool
  6. Weekly Wrap-Up: The one with the taste of spring
  7. My Week in Review #29 
  8. Science Sunday: Experimenting with Model Rockets part 2

2 comments:

  1. "That's absolutely fine. You don't have to do anything if you don't want to, but I'm going to add it to my Calendar of Firsts because I think it'll go very well with my drawing." << Yes! The power of modeling is SO powerful with our young ones, isn't it? LFunny enough, our daffodils came and went in February! We are definitely having an early spring here, but then, we always do compared with everywhere else. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, your daffodils are certainly very early ones! We don't usually see them blow until March at the earliest. And yes, my son definitely responds better to teaching-by-example than teaching-by-words-alone! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...